Thursday, March 13, 2014

Family Finances Advice From Around the Web

We often talk about money in our house because, after all, I write about it for a living and my husband is an economics professor. So my kids get an earful about spending less and saving more. I was happy to discover that my kids aren't the only ones getting money lessons at home. when I spoke to my fourth grader's Girl Scout (Brownie) troop this week about making smart money decisions, I was impressed with how many of them already knew a lot about the topic because their parents had made the effort to teach them.

SEE ALSO: How Parents Can Be Financial Role Models

Talking to children about money matters isn't easy for many parents, though. Kiplinger's Personal Finance Editor Janet Bodnar does a great job of advising parents how to tackle this difficult task in her Money Smart Kids column. I encourage you to read it, and I've rounded up tips from personal finance bloggers about kids and money -- as well as advice on managing your family's finances.

How to Talk With Your Kids About Money Issues [Christian Personal Finance]
"When you're a kid, money is something that just appears in your dad's wallet and checks are used to buy things that you don't have money for!"

Kids and Allowance: Don't Let Your Kids 'Rob' You "What approach should you use? There is no one right answer. It's just what works for you and your child(ren)."

Why I'm Making My Daughter Pay for Her Dental Braces "I refuse to reward irresponsible behavior -- especially after repeated warnings -- and if I picked up the tab for Nina's braces the second time around, that is exactly what I'd be doing."

Can You Grow Your Family on a Shrinking Income? [Get Rich Slowly]
"While we didn't anticipate everything and we underestimated some expenses, I know that our planning paid off. During our planning period, we were able to save up a decent savings cushion and prepare as much as possible."

How to Make the Shift From Two Incomes to One [Money Saving Mom]
"Think realistically about what sacrifices and lifestyle changes will need to be made in order to make living on one income a possibility."

How Steve Chou's Wife Replaced Her $100k Income With an Online Store [Good Financial Cents]
"What makes their story special is that his wife was able to develop a web based business from home that has replaced her former salary and currently brings in a six-figure income."



No comments:

Post a Comment