Friday, March 7, 2014

What top Olympians and top advisers have in common

Bloomberg News

The Olympians at Sochi have this. Peyton Manning has this. Top performers from around the world in sports, music, and even business have this. Most financial advisers should have this, but they do not. What is it?

No, it's not a list of million-dollar endorsement deals. It's something much easier to obtain. The answer is: great coaching.

Atul Gawande, surgeon and New York Times best-selling author, shares a revelation he had in this piece for The New Yorker:

“I watched Rafael Nadal play a tournament match on the Tennis Channel. The camera flashed to his coach, and the obvious struck me as interesting: even Rafael Nadal has a coach. Nearly every �lite tennis player in the world does.

Advising athletes can be difficult, especially Olympic Athletes, check out the story

Professional athletes use coaches to make sure they are as good as they can be. But doctors don't. I'd paid to have a kid just out of college look at my serve. So why did I find it inconceivable to pay someone to come into my operating room and coach me on my surgical technique?”

This is an interesting point. Coaching is pr

No comments:

Post a Comment